Thursday, June 7, 2012

More Door-to-Door Lost-Cat Flyers

Since my order for the professionally made door-hanger flyers has arrived, I've been placing them on neighbors' front door knobs/pulls as I walk from door to door.  In Hillsborough, I would say about 20% of the people have their front gates locked, so unless the occupants buzz you in, it would not be possible to walk up to the front door to place these flyers on their door knobs.  This is where the door-hanger flyers come in handy.  I can hook them up on the front gate, so they are visible from anyone looking outside to gate.  It should also be wind-resistant and won't fly away so easily.

I covered several miles on foot doing this:
Lost-Cat Flyer Distribution to Date - Covered Areas in BLUE
I still have many more houses to cover, and will do so one street at a time, every spare daylight hours I get.

As you can see from this map, if she is anywhere near home, Chai is staying out of sight.  Otherwise, one of the neighbors who have received my flyer would have called me.  With Hillsborough properties with large yards that are densely landscaped with trees and shrubs, even if she is near by, unless someone is constantly looking into his/her yard, Chai would be hard to spot.  She also has the coloring of wood bark / redwood mulch, so she would camouflage so well into anyone's landscape.  Or she may be farther out, which means that I will need to distribute the flyers to even more residents in farther places.  With my left foot in pain for over a year now for no obvious reasons (x-ray revealed nothing; next is MRI), limping around distributing flyers from one house to next is not an easy feat.  Having a severe tendonitis (tennis elbow) on my left elbow does not help either.  :(

I got to meet my neighbors this way.  Many with pets of their own were very sympathetic.  Several commented on what a great campaign/marketing I am doing, that they have noticed my flyers on utility poles, post cards, door-hanger flyers, and even seen my car around town with the florescent posters plastered on my car windows.  But no matter how great the campaign to get my lost Chai back is, it has not resulted in getting my Chai back at all.  I am not even sure she is still alive, but I keep hoping and trying to find her.  During the door-to-door searches, I heard stories of coyotes, raccoons, even mountain lions.  A mountain lion that dragged the hind quarters of a deer up a tree.  But that was almost 30 years ago.  I don't think there are mountain lions that are freely roaming around my neighborhood without being spotted in the recent years.  Hillsborough Police would send out an alert, otherwise.

I think Chai is still in the upper/hilly areas of Hillsborough rather than the lower, flatter areas.  However, Chai has been missing for more than 11 weeks.  If she is still alive, and has not been taken in by another family, she could be anywhere in Hillsborough at this point, may have even ventured into Burlingame or San Mateo.  I wish I could narrow down where she is hiding out...

No comments:

Post a Comment