Sunday, April 8, 2012

Chai is Lost!!!

Chai, my beloved ruddy Abyssinian of almost 3 years, has gone missing.  She was sitting on my lap at midnight on March 21, 2012.  When I woke up the next morning, she was nowhere in sight.  I walked up and down the street calling out to her in the morning of March 21, before heading to work.  She's NEVER done this before.

Chai - 3-yo Spayed Female Ruddy Abyssinian Cat

Last time she went missing, she was up on the roof of our neighbor's house across the street and two doors down.  She was chased by another cat.  I found her by calling out her name as I was walking down the street.  I heard her meow.  Other than this one time, she was never too far from home, and actually preferred to stay indoors most of the time.

I am pretty sure she "ran away" this time because we got a new kitten.  Kahlua, the new kitten, arrived exactly one week prior to Chai's disappearance.  The reason I got a new kitten was that Latte, one of the tree cats I have, was hit by a car and died shortly after I discovered her barely clinging onto her life next to my garage.  I missed my lap cat so much that I decided to get a cat just like Latte.  That's when Kahlua came into the picture.  She was kept in a separate room for three days before letting her out and be acquainted with Java (another Abyssinian) and Chai, under supervision.  At first, they both hissed at one another.  But by the end of the week, they would sniff at each other's noses and not hiss.  So I thought they were starting to get along.

But then, Chai goes out the cat flap between midnight and 7am, and she does not return.  One cat dying on me and another cat going missing within a short two-week span made me almost have a nervous breakdown.  I am a train wreck.

I reported her missing with HomeAgain.com where her microchip is registered.  I got lost-cat posters and plastered them all around the neighborhood in Hillsborough.  I received a few calls, but nothing definitive.  Everytime I go there, there is no sign of Chai.

I've been reading up on lost-cat behavior, joined the MissingCatAssistance group on Yahoo.  I posted her missing on CraigsList.  I scour PetHarbor.com to see if she was taken in by a shelter outside of the Peninsula Humane Society.  I check the Humane Society at least once a week.  I've consulted animal communicators, but I found them to be useless, taking money from desperate folks.  I've sent out 1000 postcards to neighbors within 1-mile radius of my house.

I've got trail cameras and set them up in different locations with the cameras trained at the feeding stations.  I am keeping one in my backyard, with the other one moving from one location to another based on sightings.

The trail camera set up on Lookout Rd capture coyotes (yikes)!  That worries me a great deal...
Coyote at Lookout Rd
I hope Chai is steering clearly away from the danger of predators.  She is very petite agile and fast, so I would hope that she can outrun and go into areas that coyotes can't get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment