Tuesday, May 29, 2012

New Platform for the Feeding Station and Door Hangers

I thought about what Hilary Renaissance said about Chai's whereabouts and my crazy notion to put the GPS device on "Tux".  I am still debating whether I should move forward with it or not.  Needless to say, I did not start Operation Tux over the Memorial Day weekend.

However, I did rent a humane trap, ordered a motion detector to put on the trap so that any animal that gets caught in the trap does not stay there too long.  Also, in order to avoid catching raccoons and to prevent them from devouring all of the cat food, I've built a shelf into the backyard fence using a 1/2"x2'x4' birch plywood board and three brackets.  Since raccoons or skunks can't jump up, I've built this shelf about 4 feet above the ground where a cat can easily jump up but the other critters can't.

I was disappointed when nothing came by the shelf the first night  I set it up.  However, on the second day, two cats who have come and eaten at the feeding station have come by:  the motley white pregnant or lactating female and the gray-and-white marbled long-haired cat.  But what happened to Tux?  I thought he would be more resourceful, smell the jack mackerel, and be able to come up on the shelf.  I guess he hasn't figured a way yet.

Here is a video with a pregnant cat chowing down at the feeding station perched up on the shelf:

Since I am getting the cats used to the trap without making it a threat, I cable-tied the trap door open so that even when the cat enters and triggers the door to shut, it stays open.  This cat trap was meant for Tux in case I decide to move forward with Operation Tux to get the GPS device on him.  But no Tux thus far.

But no raccoons either, which is great!  Since there is a dense canopy of tree branches above the shelf, the birds don't see the feeding station either.  Otherwise, crows and blue jays would be having a party.

Even with all my effort to try to get Chai back, I am feeling really discouraged and depressed.  Hilary Renaissance said one thing about where she thinks Chai is:  no more than 3-blocks all around.  However, another animal communicator Marta Williams said she is at least 6 blocks away, northeast from here, up on a hillside in open space but near houses.  So who is right?  Or may be both of them are wrong.  That's why I am reluctant to move forward with Operation Tux.  It might just be another wild goose chase.  The only common thread is that 1) Chai is still alive, and 2) Chai is out in the wild and no one is feeding her.  My support at the Missing Cat Assistance Yahoo group said that hardly anyone had much success with animal communicators.  One person said that she had consulted with 4 different animal communicators but all of them were a total waste of her money and time.

I should just go with the tried-and-true method of flyers and door-to-door knocking/handouts.  So I ordered door-hanger flyers to put on houses in 1-mile radius from my house.  Many Hillsborough residents have gates that are locked.  It's hard to place a regular paper flyer in such cases.  Also some people do not have door mats to slide the flyer half-way under so that the wind does not blow it away.  Door-hanger flyer to the rescue!  This will get noticed more than flyers or post cards (people may just chuck them as part of their junk mail).  I will walk around at least once a week to put these door-hanger flyers around the neighborhood.  I will also post more flyers too around utility poles.
Front Side of the Door-Hanger Flyer

Back Side of the Door-Hanger Flyer


No comments:

Post a Comment