Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Where Did They Go?

Strange, most of the regulars at the feeding stations have not come by last night at either the one set up in my backyard or at Andersons'.  However, the raccoons came by in numbers to have a feast.  Perhaps the raccoons were keeping the cats away.  I wish there was a way to keep the raccoons out of the kitty buffet, but if I put food out for them, then more and more raccoons show up, and in the end, I create a bigger problem than a small problem that I try to solve...

So at Andersons, only the gray-and-white chubby cat at the feeding station.  I saw another cat, farther out, which looked different from any regulars thus far:  mostly charcoal gray with some white along the shoulder/neck and white paws.  In my yard, "Tux" came by before the feeding station was restocked, and sniffed around and left.  And the fat motley-brown and white cat that came by on May 18 came by again yesterday.  Actually, she wasn't fat; she was pregnant. She must have given birth in the last three days.  Here is her looking rather plump on May 18th:
"Fat" motley-brown and white cat
Yesterday afternoon, she came by again, search for food before any food was set up.  As you can see from this video, her belly seems to hang loosely, and the nipples are enlarged like she is actively nursing her kittens:


It's rather sad that another feral litter is born in the neighborhood.  I wonder where the kittens are, and where she is nursing them.  I should seriously think about joining the TNR (trap-neuter-release) group to help control the feral cat population.

On a different note, since my son attends the West School, I have the West School directory where it lists all of the parents'/guardians' e-mail addresses.  I took a deep breath and decided to send each and everyone in the directory about helping me find Chai.  I did not want to be seen as pestering or spamming everyone's in-box, but Chai is so important to me and the family.  She IS a family member, and I need to do everything in my power to try to find her.  Wouldn't any parent do that if their child goes missing?  So pride and shame aside, I have begged the West School community and Hillsborough Together to help me find Chai.

I have received several e-mails from all over Hillsborough, kind folks offering support and sympathy.  I feel a great sense of community here, much more than I have ever felt living almost two decades in San Mateo.  Some have said that they keep looking (thank you!!!!).  It really warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment